Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sell Sell Sell

I finally got a job, yucky sucky! That sounds so mature!


Guess which gym am I working for?


These are the criteria I've set myself for consideration before finding a job;


  1. Working hours must be between 4-6 hours per day
  2. Saturday & Sundays are my off-days
  3. I can still participate in sporting events & go for church
  4. Cannot, & I mean cannot clash with studies
  5. Workplace not too far from home
  6. Most of the time, I only need to use either English or Malay during conversations
  7. I get to wear shorts for work
  8. Wages not less than RM800 per month
  9. I can still be myself, literally
  10. Hot chicks, lots of hot chicks. That means a KFC outlet has to be nearby


A bit too much right? I may be ACE certified, but that doesn't mean I could use my qualifications to call the shots rather than my prospective boss. Nevertheless, if I cannot fulfill all of the criteria above, I should at least able to secure a part-time position. This is the main priority, go part-time!

But very hard lah to find a part-time job at fitness centres these days! Everywhere I went around Subang also told me the same thing, "We only want full-time staffs, not part-timers." Just when I'm about to give up my colourful lifestyle by working full-time instead, an idea popped up in my head.

I remembered while I was still undergoing through the process of getting certified, one my coursemates managed to find a part-time job in a well known gym nearby the Curve. Therefore, I've decided to do the same thing by first visiting that particular gym's main branch in Klang.


Centro Klang, so far?


It's not that far lah actually. Just take a RapidKL bus from the Sri KL School & then you will reach Klang in less than 30 minutes! How I know ar? This is something you'll obtain after working for awhile as a mystery shopper, navigation skills motherfeather!

The manager I've met over there for interview was actually a very nice person. She has no problem in hiring me part-time. The only thing she's concerned about me is my lack of experience in doing sales & inability to converse in Chinese! Alright I'll explain what does the first problem mean.

All commercial gyms have only one goal, which is to sell sell sell. If they can't sell, then can't get profit. And if they can't get profit, then they can't expand or even survive! As a personal trainer in commercial gyms, I have to persuade potential clients to sign up up for membership as well as personal training sessions in which my course did not prepare me for this aspect, the business part!

The second problem is that the people in Klang, whom the majority are Chinese either don't speak England or American, similar to their cousins in KL. The manager went on to say that these folks are not sophisticated nor cultured unlike those living in the suburbs. But I want to stress one thing. It's not about who is better. We are just different, that's all! Sorry ya please don't get mad if you're from Klang or KL!


So to avoid language barrier, I asked the manager if she can employ me in this branch instead;


PJ Trade Centre, motherfeather!


Honestly, I really fell in love with Damansara ever since my course started here last February. I'll be damn happy if I can get this branch instead of Klang. Just imagine it, the Curve & 1 Utama is like just located beside your workplace everyday. So awesome right?

Even if I must work in Klang, it's okay, it's okay *pat myself on the back*. At the end of the day, the company I'll be working for is a BIG name in the fitness industry. I can't tell you which gym exactly because I want you to personally ask me in person, muahaha!


"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary" - Cecil Beaton

No comments:

Post a Comment