Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Playsafe Condoms

Why Canadians are proud to be Canadians? I know the answer. It's because of Terry Fox!


Beacon Hill Park in Victoria, British Columbia


Last week on a Tuesday morning, I was finally being discharged by the hospital (SJMC) for food poisoning. Even so, I felt discomfort whenever I try to eat something. The wind inside my stomach still made me feeling nauseas. To make things worse, I have an upcoming marathon (10km) on the same week, which is Sunday.

Since I only had four days left, my dad strongly objected my participation in this competition. Proclaiming himself an expert in the health industry, he said that I have a high likely risk of collapsing during the race because my body is not 100% fit yet. He even dare to call up his friends whom are also in the medical profession for their opinions to back up his statement that I'm crazy for wanting to join this marathon!

Now I know what Terry Fox must have gone through with his parents when he told them, "Hey mum, dad, guess what? I'm going to run a 8000km marathon, with just one leg!" Imagine what was his parents reaction when he wanted to do the impossible. The purpose of him running across Canada is to raise fund for cancer research as well as instilling awareness among the public of the disease.

8000km within 185 days, that is like running 42km a day. For me running 10km is already exhausting enough, what more of 42km? Terry had done that, & he did it with one healthy leg & another one with prosthetics. If it take days for my legs to recover from cramps & sores after running 10km, what more of 42km? Terry done that, & he did it almost everyday.

I really don't understand, why M'sians like my dad are so pessimistic & realistic all the time? Instead of viewing things as they really are, why can't M'sians look beyond at what things can become of. How can you expect to achieve success if you feel the risks involved are not worth taking them. For crying out loud, stop wearing the bloody Playsafe condoms!

Risk is like gambling & gambling is like taking a risk. I'm not sure if the bible forbids gambling but I do know that sometimes sacrifices have to be made when taking risks. In my case, I have to sacrifice my unfit body to finish the race even if I have to risked myself getting injured or collapse along the way like my dad predicted.

Whether if I'm a resolute or just a stubborn person, I certainly did not regret for sticking to my own personal beliefs, which is to continue fighting even if the odds are stacked up against you. Sorry dad, I know you're being concern for my well-being, but this son of yours just doesn't know how to quit. It's always better to be a failure rather than to be a coward;


The sweet taste of medal. Silverlishly yummy ~









No comments:

Post a Comment