Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ni Hao, After That Stuck!

After measles, now it's food poisoning. God why am I so prone to illnesses nowadays? Various sporting competitions are coming under way & I have to prepare for them soon. How am I gonna resume my training regime if I keep falling sick like this? Arghh! The mind is willing, but the body is weak ~

While awaiting my STPM results due in March, I've been trying to find a part-time job either as an instructor or supervisor in fitness centres & health clubs but to no avail. Almost every places I've applied to rejected me, simply because of my inability to communicate in Chinese!

Can you believe it? Even in work places such as these needs proficiency in Chinese. Now I'm beginning to see how really important it is to master your mother's tongue. That is why I made a bold new year resolution for 2010, which is to possess a decent level of Mandarin. I'm optimistic of achieving this goal, at the same time I'm afraid too because of my bad past experiences with Chinese native speakers.

At the end of 2010, I hope to be able to speak like this guy;





I actually regretted for not having the chance to enroll into vernacular primary schools like Lick Hung or Chung Hwa. But then again, it's not my fault because it is my parent's decision to put me into a government school in the first place. As a result, my mothers's tongue suffered & now I couldn't even form a simple sentence in Chinese. Thanks alot mom & dad!

My Chinese speaking classmates in Sixth Form said that they envied me because of my good command in English. That is bull mother shit! Why would you want to be envious of a guy like me who can only converse in Malay & English when you guys can speak in four languages instead which consist of Malay, English, Cantonese & Mandarin? In the job market, you people will definitely have the advantage over me in securing employment because of these four languages. Therefore it is I who should look up to you, not the other way around.

I'm not the only Chinese 'banana' because I also know a few Chinese friends around Subang whom are likewise, only able to speak in either English or Malay. One thing I don't understand about these people is why they are ignorant about the importance of mastering their mother's tongue. Is it because they are afraid of being labeled as 'typical' Chinese, Chinaman, lala zai, etc? I can understand if you have tried Mandarin courses like me though unable to speak well but to have never tried at all to overcome the language by saying that English is everything, it's just an excuse for you of being a coward.

The siege mentality as well as blind pride that the so called English educated are better than the Chinese educated, it will never end until they start venturing into the working world. I hope reality hits you real hard in the head when your future employer starts to ask you;

"Can you speak in Chinese?"



No comments:

Post a Comment