Friday, June 10, 2011

A Bridge Too Far?

I've decided...


I'm gonna take on this challenge!


"To venture where no man has gone before," fulamak!


The Penang Bridge is one of the main attractions for sports tourism in the country


It is dubbed as the mother of all Malaysian marathons! This is beyond what I have faced before. This shall be my 'Goliath' of the year. No doubt, it's gonna be electrifying! Holy cow! I am bloody excited to be part of this epic history whereby thousands of ordinary men & women will choose to do something extraordinary on November 20th by conquering the Penang Bridge & live the day to tell their stories to the rest of the world. November 20th...November 20th...


To make sure I am ready for the first half marathon of my life, I joined the New Balance Pacesetters 15km last Sunday to see how my stamina fares.


Putrajaya, one of my least favourite places to run at!


Pictures below are courtesy of Siew Chee Meng from Malaysia Runners Network;


The best promotion & discounts you can find for running shoes are in running events!


Check out the guy in the middle with the hair tattoo! :D


One day I must conduct a research on why Africans are so physically gifted in sports


Refreshments after the run


Yimster a.k.a Uncle Yim was also running!


He's becoming more & more of a local celebrity especially when he runs with his signature sarong haha!


Running is meaningless if you don't have a supporter, thanks dad (:


I didn't know how cool my hair was until I saw this :P


Thank you Lord for giving me a pair of legs to run for Your glory!


The Chinese believes that 8 is a lucky number. For me, I create my own luck ~


The last remaining kilometer felt like hell! Literally, I had to drag my feet just to reach the finishing line as my legs just couldn't run anymore (total shutdown) after reaching 14km. I was disappointed with myself actually, because I know I can do better than this. For some reason, my body was not in top form due to some mistakes made during the last day of training before competition.

The moral of the story is, never undergo through vigorous training especially on the last day of practice. It is not just your stamina level, but your performance will suffer as well because the body doesn't have enough time to recuperate from the previous training session. Looks like there's still alot more preparation to be done before November 20th. In order to finish a half marathon consisting of 21km in a strong position, there can be no room for mistakes!


"The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed." - Jacqueline Gareau

No comments:

Post a Comment